Gradius Home World グラディウスホームワールド Gradius Home World グラディウス ホームワールド

Go Back   Gradius Home World グラディウスホームワールド > Fan Based Games ファンベースのゲーム > Cavadius

Cavadius Official forum for the original game Cavadius by ForteMP3

Old 10th January 2008, 21:38   #1
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Default Keep an eye on these forums...

This one's for all the longtime Cavadius supporters that have stuck with us since day 1...

First off, no, this isn't an announcement or hint that the game is done. I wish that were the case, but here's the good news I CAN give...

Cavadius is coming back. It's being worked on whenever I'm not doing my part time job now, aside from a bit of Phantasy Star Universe time now and then. (I'd say about 80% of my freetime is being devoted to Cavadius, the other 20% to gaming).

I can't give a definate date yet, but here's what I can tell everyone. The engine is being re-written from scratch so as to provide a better game for everyone. Here's what you can expect to see in the next public release when it finally happens.

-New resolution:480x640

-TRUE Framerate switching support, 60 frames per second WILL be availble. It's in, it works.

-True difficulty adjustment, instead of a couple minute changes here and there. You play on easy, there'll be less bullets, play hard, there'll be more.

-New Option features:Freeze Option, Variable Width Formation Option, Variable Radius Orbit Option, and Trace Options (What Type-1 Options used to be).

-Better weapons:Everything's been completely rebalanced. The laser is no longer crap, and the pulse laser will make you drop your jaw in awe should it reach level 3...Everything is gonna be better than it ever was in the past.

-Vsync support (CAUTION-This will DRAMATICALLY up your processor usage. I was seeing 40% of my CPU being used, and I'm running a dualcore 3ghz).

I promise all of you, a release date WILL be given once we have a rough idea. I can't promise anything, but I really am hoping to have this done, (or at least 80% done) by year's end. I'm serious about this...Cavadius has been on the back burner for too long. This project first came about in my mind in 2004, it's now 2008...And I am NOT gonna go down in history as the guy who took longer than Duke Nukem Forever...

What can you expect to see in the coming months? A public test, definately. There's no doubt this'll be coming up...Once we get something playable out to you guys, we'll probably begin work on level/boss design, and will likely need testers for that as well. Whether or not these'll be public release tests is something we've yet to decide on, but if we do closed testing, I assure you the application for being a tester will be rather painless.

...Whew, that was a lot to say at once. Anyway guys, all I can say at this point is:I'm glad to be back. Let's make 2008 a year to remember!
ForteMP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 21:58   #2
speedup
Craftsman

Default Re: Keep an eye on these forums...

Welcome back, Forte! These are great news for all Gradius fan!

SALAMANDER NG author

the official site of the game:
www.obliodesign.altervista.org
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 02:27   #3
Ace
Option Hunter

Location: My Gradius: The Dark Armada development suite, AKA, my house(Montreal, Quebec, Canada)

YES! I was waiting for new developments on Cavadius, I just played the demo version to death, loved it.

Celebrating 25 years of Gradius.

Maker of the Gradius fangame Unoffical Salamander 3. It's a whole new Salamander. View the trailer here: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHI2g7cpIU

Now - Maker of Gradius: The Dark Armada. The biggest threat to Gradius ever. View Test Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWhLtQEBGF4&fmt=18
View Test Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49q4xWP8Sac
View Test Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E5aWes4XdA
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 16:08   #4
The Tetran
Expert Shooting Star

Great to hear that Cavadius isn't dead. And since I now have a controller, I'll be slightly better at shooters. Maybe I'll be one of the volunters in the future. Can't wait to see what you've been hiding from us all this time. ;)
Old 12th January 2008, 20:10   #5
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Hey gang, thought I'd give you a small progress update, and a few tidbits on some major changes in the engine with this re-write, some of which I think you'll be VERY happy to read.

-Weapon Changes-

Damage Adjustments have been done to ALL the weapons so it will be easier for us to tweak their damage output for balancing purposes. in the original build of Cavadius, I believe the normal shot did either 2 or 5 damage, something along those lines. This made creating weapons weaker than the normal shot a bit of a challenge...So a new base level of damage has been set for the normal shot at 100 points of damage. Obviously, enemy health will be adjusted to reflect this.

Homing Missiles have become Radar Missiles. In order to maintain the wide superiority of Type-2 and to have it maintain Lord British's weakness of no back coverage, the Homing Missile has become a new type of Missile called Radar Missile. Unlike the Homing Missile, the Radar Missile seeks out a target then moves at a left or right upward angle to track it. If it loses the target or flies past it, it will start scanning for a new target ahead of it and begin pursuing that target. As the weapon is upgraded, the left/right movement speed is increased for better accuracy.

The Multishot (Formerly known as Double) now has its angled shots fire independantly from the forward gun. This means you can still fire forward even if you have angled shots in flight. Along with this, the weapon gains a tailgun at level 2, and the fire-rate of all your shots increases at level 3.

The Laser has gotten the boost everyone wanted, and I think everyone'll be happy with the new setup. it moves faster and the "cooldown" that existed has been removed. You still have to wait for all your lasers to leave the screen if you reach the limit of how many you can fire based on level, but after all those lasers have left the screen, you can fire again immediately.

The Ripple is mostly unchanged, though it does gain a rate of fire upgrade at level 3 along with a size increase.

The Pulse Laser now has a higher firing rate and projectile speed, and starts out with 2 lasers. At level 2, it gains a third, at level 3 the speed/fire rate of the weapon dramatically increases.

The Round Laser now has a much cleaner sprite and looks much better in action. At this point, it's still debated if it should behave exactly like its Gaiden counterpart, or be able to pierce enemies/surfaces at the cost of being the weakest weapon in the game as far as damage output goes.

The Spread Bomb is now Gradius V styled. That is instead of prolonged damage, it will do heavy damage for a brief period (1 frame or so) to everything within the blast radius. The prolonged damage effect will now be exclusive to Gravity Bullet. To make up for this change, Spread Bombs will fly faster and further as they level up. Combined with the new ability to spread out your Orbit Options, I suspect these will become a fan favorite.

-Bugfixes-
The "two keys at once" issue that has plagued Cavadius has finally been dealt with. For those who don't recall, if you pressed two opposing directions at once, Vic Viper could actually fly outside the screen. This was a rather interesting thing to fix, because as I fixed it...The Options broke! However, it's all been sorted out, and Options work just fine. Vic Viper no longer flies outside a level if you hold two keys...Just keep in mind that left/up will have priority, so be careful about that...

The boundaries that Vic Viper can fly to have been widened. It's now possible to fly further towards the edges of the screen so as to make the game area less restrictive.
Old 13th January 2008, 06:37   #6
Captain B

What about the Gradius 3 AC behavior of the standard laser? That was always kind of a drag.
Old 13th January 2008, 07:15   #7
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Gradius 3 AC laser behavior? Elaborate.

Also, a question. It won't be very impressive, but once we get something semi playable out (IE, something with killable enemies) I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in a test build of the game? I should note this would be even less of a game than the trial version, and would primarily be for testing system performance and getting some opinions on the new weapon setups.

Thoughts, anyone?
Old 13th January 2008, 20:55   #8
Captain B

Gradius 3 AC laser behavior = Once you stop holding the button down or laser reaches its full length, it stops following the craft. This made the laser very cumbersome in Cavadius and AC Gradius 3.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:42   #9
speedup
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteMP3 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in a test build of the game?
With pleasure, Yes!

SALAMANDER NG author

the official site of the game:
www.obliodesign.altervista.org
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 23:48   #10
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

progress hasn't been as fast as I like, but it IS being worked on. RL is still insistant on me at times...

Anyway, all Option types are done, weapons are ALMOST done. All that's left is Gravity Bullet scaling based on level, need to re-code the Torpedoes (This'll be easy). After that we finally move onto enemy design. From there, designing the bulletGML studio for my team so they can help me in boss design via bullet pattern creation, and then actual level design.

To answer your request Captain B, we've come up with a compromise. A non AC laser'll be availble in weapon edit, the Cyclone Laser, which will follow you at all times even after you "release it." The normal laser will follow you as long as you keep the fire button pressed, releasing it will free the lasers. If you keep the button held though, the lasers will always remain aligned with your ship/options.
Old 17th January 2008, 14:37   #11
Bradzor
Rookie

Damn, this is looking good,
I would love to test this out!

And i have experience with manic shmups, so it could be possible.

But i doubt it,

New Idea!

Progress:guess what? 0%!

Read topic for info
Bradzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 09:00   #12
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

I guess you could say this is now a realtime update of the progress on the rebuild.

Weapons are 99% done, some recoding needs to be done there. We're also looking at some potential new control schemes that would allow for more customization in player controls, but no idea how this'll fly just yet. We're hoping it works tho.
Old 20th January 2008, 17:52   #13
The Tetran
Expert Shooting Star

Nice to hear progress is going smoothly. :)

Can't wait to try out the beta. It should be easier for me to dodge attacks, I think, with a controller.
Old 23rd January 2008, 17:19   #14
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Whew, it's been awhile, but I have some good news. I think within 1-2 weeks we should have something that's actually playable. Among other things, expect a new improved HUD and a few other ah...Suprises. :)

Last night we managed to get the Power Gauge to about 80% functionality, it's just about done. Once that's taken care of, it only leaves enemies and an actual level to worry about.
Old 24th January 2008, 21:43   #15
Postman
Rookie

That's such good news..........I've still been keeping an eye on this project for a while, can't wait for the new build........!!!
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote