Gradius Home World グラディウスホームワールド Gradius Home World グラディウス ホームワールド

Go Back   Gradius Home World グラディウスホームワールド > Fan Based Games ファンベースのゲーム > Cavadius

Cavadius Official forum for the original game Cavadius by ForteMP3

Old 23rd February 2007, 08:04   #1
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Default New features poll

Well, some ideas have been tossed back and forth between me and Firehawke, along with some new people on the team (Graphic folks, but they're also shmuppers, and thus will have some say in things).

Anyway, I wanted to get some ideas from you all, the fans, on what sounds like good and bad ideas...I should note NONE of these ideas are finalized, they're all in the consideration phase if anything.

-----------------------
IDEA #1: RANK SYSTEM
-----------------------
Any shooter fan knows this is a topic of great controversy, thanks to games that abuse the crap out of rank like Battle Garegga. However, talk has been thrown back and forth, multiple times, about implementing a Rank system in Cavadius.

For those who don't understand the term, allow me to explain briefly.
Rank is a sort of realtime difficulty adjustment that is used to make the game harder or easier based on various factors. This includes things like firing shots, getting powerups, using bombs, etc. What happens when rank goes up? Well...Bullet counts go up, enemies get more health, etc. Dying, using bombs, etc, typically lowers rank.

Rank in Cavadius would most likely affect the frequency bullets are shot at, while difficulty would affect how many are shot. Basically, the two would kinda be different aspects of difficulty. Furthermore, rank would not be without its benefits. What's the good thing of having an insanely high rank? More bullets to Mega Crush, which means more 100 point medals (As mega crushing in the current inhouse build turns all bullets into said medals).

So here we are with the big question...
RANK. YAY OR NAY?!

------------------------
IDEA #2: OPTION BOMBS
------------------------
Any Salamander 2 player knows where this is going, though I should note Option Bombs in Cavadius would be designed around the concept of /not/ sucking ass. Basically, Option Bombs in Cavadius would be like something I was ORIGINALLY going to implement but didn't...The DoDonPachi style laser. By using a single Option Bomb, you would fire a somewhat brief but powerful piercing laser attack useful for mowing down targets or inflicting a crapload of damage. Charging up to release multiple Option Bombs would increase the width and damage of the laser. Using all four in a single charge would also give the laser bullet destroying capabilities.
Assuming we implement Rank, this would be one way the player could lower it, or raise it depending on how they use it. For example, rank will not lower significantly if you use a single Option bomb, but will drop HEAVILY if you use all four in a single blast.

----------------------------------
IDEA #3:ARRANGE MODE SPECIFICS
----------------------------------
This is still in the concept phase as well, but it's an idea I was given by Ibara's arrange mode. The idea behind Cavadius' arrange mode would be changing the playstyle to be less Gradius like and more DDP like (IE, tap to fire, hold to use a laser gameplay). What I'm debating heavily though is how powerups should work...Should the gauge stay? Should powerups be done Salamander style? Or even simplier, DDP style? (IE, grab powerup, ALL weapons level up). Along with this, an idea I was given on how to implement a new game mechanic that would be Arrange exlclusive:Bullet scratching. IE, letting bullets hit your ship (but not your hitbox). The idea would be that you would have a ! slot on your gauge, but it isn't activated by power capsules. Instead, you fill up the ! slot by scratching bullets, and when it maxes, you can unleash a mega crush to wipe the area clean at will. To balance this out for bosses, you would gain a very small percentage to the gauge when fighting bosses, as opposed to fighting normal enemies (If you've played Psyvariar Revision, you know what I'm talking about).

Bosses would be HEAVILY changed in Arrange Mode to be more Cavelike. Let's use a Big Core for an example. Instead of aiming at the core, you would now aim at the general body of the ship to damage it, HOWEVER...Certain parts of the ship can also be damaged:For example, you could destroy the guns on the left and right side.

Well, that's the basic stuff so far. Any thoughts?
ForteMP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 18:49   #2
RoadBritish
Apprentice Shooter

I'm all for option bombs, and I believe that there were some Gradius/Salamander games that used the rank system, or at least said they did. However, I think bullet scratching should only give point bonuses, though.

Won't arrange mode sort of make the game harder to manage, though?
i.e. when the game needs to be rebalanced for some reason or another, you have two different versions of each boss to worry about...
Old 23rd February 2007, 18:55   #3
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Oh, Arrange Mode's gonna be interesting, I admit that much. However, assuming we ever get Cavadius done (God I hope we do!) Arrange Mode would be a new game mode released in a separate patch/update. We want to get the Original Mode finished entirely before we even CONSIDER Arrange Mode though. As for scratching for points...Well, iffy, considering if we allowed it on bosses, you could easily milk them.
ForteMP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 03:16   #4
RoadBritish
Apprentice Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteMP3 View Post
As for scratching for points...Well, iffy, considering if we allowed it on bosses, you could easily milk them.
Well, that's why bosses automatically die/run away after a certain amount of time, without awarding any points to the player.
Old 6th May 2007, 18:45   #5
BRPG8000
Rookie

FAN Based Game Cheaters Never Win

If they use a option bomb scatter, you would not earn any points until you run out of options.
BRPG8000 is offline   Reply With Quote