Gradius Home World グラディウスホームワールド Gradius Home World グラディウス ホームワールド

Go Back   Gradius Home World グラディウスホームワールド > Fan Based Games ファンベースのゲーム > Cavadius

Cavadius Official forum for the original game Cavadius by ForteMP3

Old 10th August 2006, 09:03   #1
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Default State of Cavadius Address

Cavadius is far from dead. It is however, moving slower than a turtle with glue on his feet. I humbly apologize for this, I've only now had a chance to get back to working with bulletGML, which really needs to be finished before I continue with Cavadius, as bulletGML is going to be an integral part of it.

The good news? bulletGML is progressing fairly well, a lot of nasty bugs have been ironed out, new features have been added, and soforth.

As for why it's been so slow, there's a number of reasons. In no particular order, they are...

-My Job
-Super Metroid Redesign (A freaking AMAZING Super Metroid remake)
-MUSHing (A kind of online roleplay)
-Psyvariar Complete (FINALLY PLAYABLE ON HDLOADER)
-The Shadow Hearts Trilogy
-A crapload of new anime I've yet to watch (I did finish G Gundam recently however)

Long story short, a lot of stuff has been distracting me from Cavadius. However, I really, REALLY want to get back into it, hence why I'm working on finishing the current stuff for bulletGML. Once that's done, my goals for Cavadius will be as follows

-Implement bulletGML
-Add TRUE difficulty support, which bulletGML will help with by tweaking bullet patterns itself, based on the game difficulty. This means no more coding every difficulty's patterns by hand.
-Tweak the weapons again, with some new ideas I have in mind
-Finish Stage 2 and its boss
-Begin Stage 3

I'll likely do the next public release when Stage 2 is finished entirely, boss included. After that, depending on feedback, I have some other ideas in store, like Arrange Mode, which would be an alternate game mode. The first 'full' demo of the game (That is, one that's not just a simple test version with one stage) will likely include Arrange Mode, a better menu, and rankings among other things. Oh, and while I can't promise anything yet, a 60 FPS mode MAY be in the works, though I should warn you due to how GameMaker works,you may need a fairly fast system to handle 60 FPS.
ForteMP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 14:42   #2
L
Rookie

Still going, eh? Good sport.

I've heard that Super Metroid Redesign was impressive yet unnecessarily cruel.
L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 14:33   #3
Klatrymadon
Vic Viper Master

Nah, it's wonderful. There are only two genuinely obscure parts in it, and you're always cleverly led (and/or boxed in) to the place you need to be - much more so than in the original. A bit of lateral thinking will always see you through...

Check it out! :D
Old 23rd August 2006, 00:31   #4
Jeremiah-the-kitsune
Apprentice Shooter

If Shadow hearts is a part of it all is forgiven.

And what of this Super Metroid remake? I can't find any info on it =( (WHY does google presist to never work?)
Old 23rd August 2006, 04:22   #5
MSZ
Apprentice Shooter

I hope you enjoyed G Gundam...that is a great series which is underrated by a lot of traditional Gundam fans.
MSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 01:25   #6
t3mp3st
Rookie

It'll be worth the wait. Still looks like it'll be the best GM shmup to date, glad to see it hasn't been forgotten ^_~
t3mp3st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 14:20   #7
L
Rookie

Hey! It's November!

And the forums link on your page is broken!
L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 15:21   #8
GameStone
Administrator

Sorry my fault, the forum is stored in a new location, I will change the links when I get back from work later today.
Old 2nd January 2007, 21:46   #9
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Dead? Hardly. Really unfreaking believably slow? You bet.

I apologize for it being 2007 with no new release of Cavadius. BulletGML work has been slow, and on top of that Firehawke and I are debating an engine recode at some point, to remove a lot of nasty and unoptimized code the game has had. 60 FPS will be in the works soon, though it might be a bit buggy at first, as coding at 60 FPS will require is to TOTALLY re-work how things are timed...On top of that, I can't ensure optimal performance on all systems at 60 FPS. Along with that however, we are toying with some other ideas, I'd love to hear feedback on these for future reference.

Here's what we've got planned aside from a possible engine overhaul

-SCORING TWEAKS-
-Medals (These are in. Gained for killing big enemies, the faster you do this, the more medals they drop. Medals are worth 100 points per pickup).

-All bullets onscreen will turn into medals when a boss is killed (A-la DoDonPachi).

-Medals will grant an end of stage bonus equal to medals collected without death x100.

-Combo gauge will be 1.5x its original length, allowing for easier chaining, but not ridiculously easy.

-WEAPON TWEAKS-
-Considering completely overhauling the rate of fire on burst fire weapons like the normal shot.

-Double will be turned into the Multishot. It will be a 3-way at level 1, 3-way with tailgun at level 2, and six way (Forward 3-way and tailgun 3-way) at level 3.

-Retool the homing code for Homing Missiles to make them a bit more realistic in turning. Depending on if they still unbalance gameplay, these may become Gradius style 2-way missiles (Which would be called Side Missiles in this).

-Type-1 Laser will be recieving some DRAMATIC changes in how it works. Level 1 will have the length of what Level 2 currently has, Level 2 will have Level 3 length, and Level 3 will now be the same length, but with a wider laser.

-Type-2 Disruptor will likely recieve better width since the Type-1 laser will now have a width upgrade at Level 3.

-Improve the graphic on the Type-3 Round Laser, may also increase radius of it. Unsure if piercing will be added.

-Heavy retooling for the Type-3 Pulse Laser. Level 1 will be unchanged, Level 2 will add three lasers, Level 3 will double the fire rate.

-Gravity Bullets on Type-4 will be recieving a bit of a nerfing. Damage will be reduced by about 50-75 percent to compensate for the practically broken levels of damage a cluster of Gravity Bullets do when you have full Front Options.

-Add in BulletGML script from my external BulletGML project for all bullet patterns, will also result in properly working Difficulty Levels.

-GRAPHICAL TWEAKS-
-Remove some unneeded sprites/objects, replace with particle render effects to improve game speed.

-Implement 60FPS mode

-FAR OFF FUTURE PLANS-

-Add Arrange Mode
-Add 5 Minute Challenge Mode (Inspired by Caravan shooters)
-Additional ships/weapons
-Color Edit support for Vic Viper (Make your own paintjob!)
Old 3rd January 2007, 11:05   #10
GameStone
Administrator

Welcome back.

I know your updates are few a far between but you always include some excellent additions.

Have you thought about opening up the source code so others can make bits and maybe see how you did things in the game.

I know programing is a lot of hard work but I think this may help others with their projects and maybe help you with something that you cannot work out.

As far as I know there are no fan based game source code availible for any game.
Old 3rd January 2007, 14:08   #11
Hafk
Craftsman

I am all for Cavadius being GPL'd. It allows people to use your engine and we could see plenty of games in the future. Of course, the debate on if those games would be good or not is questionable.

But, if you have it Open Source, you need to comment the code, and that can be very frustrating to do. Of course, commenting will help you go over your code again.
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:14   #12
Captain B

Oh, before I forget (can't believe I almost missed this) The current version of Cavadius has problems running on my computer. Basically, several things are missing graphically. I can't see stuff on the weapon select, and the playing field is completely invisible. Interestingly enough, I have not had this problem on other computers, but given the nature of it, I don't think the problem is with the computer...
Old 4th January 2007, 21:49   #13
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

The only problem with going completely open source is that it's a bit difficult due to what I'm running at the moment, GameMaker. It uses its own proprietary language and soforth, so porting to other OSes is kinda difficult. I'd also rather have a finished product before I make Cavadius open source if I choose to do so, because at the moment, the code is a freaking MESS!

However, there are some aspects of the game I'd be more than happy to share if anyone else feels like toying with the engine, just lemme know what you need to know. Captain B, I imagine you could probably use my Option code, it's much more to the style of Gradius than what I saw in your Salamander game (which definately has potential to say the least.)

Anyway, the other thing that will be completely open source once I finish it is BulletGML, the new bullet scripting system I'm developing for Cavadius. It's looking up, very much so, and I'm adding new features constantly. What I need to do is finish BulletGML, and then I promise you'll be seeing some MAJOR changes to Cavadius. What, exactly? Well, expect Easy to be easier, and Hard to be MUCH harder...

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, Firehawke and I have been talking about what kinds of weapons will be availble on secret ships, and what will be availble for Vic Viper's S-Weapon Edit...So far, we've come up with some of the following cameo weapons...

-Round Vulcan from Axelay
-Needle Cracker from Axelay
-Level 3 Vulcan from Assault Heroes (Rebounds after hitting something, insane fire rate)
-E.Laser from Gradius 3/5 (Though it might be kinda impractical in this game...)
-Fire Blaster from Gradius 5 (I promise its range will NOT suck)

Got any ideas? Feel free to let us know.

Last edited by ForteMP3; 4th January 2007 at 21:57. Reason: Adding stuff!
Old 5th January 2007, 02:18   #14
Captain B

Quote:
However, there are some aspects of the game I'd be more than happy to share if anyone else feels like toying with the engine, just lemme know what you need to know. Captain B, I imagine you could probably use my Option code, it's much more to the style of Gradius than what I saw in your Salamander game (which definately has potential to say the least.)
Thank you. Thank you very much. I might even be able to do four whole options with this (for awhile, I was really stumped at how to do options as it was.)

...you wouldn't also happen to have some idea on how to go about with Death Hands, would you?
Old 5th January 2007, 03:52   #15
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Options are actually easier than you think, in fact, a lot of the ideas I suggested are easier than you might think, to be honest.

I'll need to talk to you in a more realtime manner to explain all this, do you have AIM or anything similar?