Gradius Home World グラディウスホームワールド Gradius Home World グラディウス ホームワールド

Go Back   Gradius Home World グラディウスホームワールド > Fan Based Games ファンベースのゲーム > Cavadius

Cavadius Official forum for the original game Cavadius by ForteMP3

Old 21st April 2005, 19:32   #1
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Default The Official Cavadius Suggestions Thread

Got any ideas/suggestions for Cavadius? This is the place to post them. Bugfixes? Gameplay additions/tweaks? If it's a suggestion for the game, put it here.
ForteMP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 14:49   #2
Postman
Rookie

Now that you are implementing the score multiplier, how about different bosses at the end of levels depending on how high a score you have? A harder boss for a larger score.........or some kind of reaction from the game based on how well you are doing.......
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 03:02   #3
Postman
Rookie

Default Reaction to .90

Hey C-Team:

Just played version .90, and here are some thoughts.......background looks great, and the explosions are also top notch.........I really like the overall feel and how things are turning out......

My only suggestions/complainst are that -

1) The boss is insanely hard.

2) I'd like to be able to see the option rollover mulitplier even when not firing. In other words, have it visible right under the score or something, so I know what progression its at during all times.

Great work!
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 20:25   #4
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Default 1st Boss Strategies

Heh, he's only hard if you aren't using your head. The thing is, there's a number of safe spots throughout the Big Core MkI Kai fight. Here's how I beat it without dying.

-Pattern #1 (Multi directional blue lasers and diamond waves)-
Try to manuver between a pair of lasers fired straight ahead. There's enough room to do so, and you completely avoid the diamond waves. You can also then adjust your position slightly to deal with the small needles fired during the strafe attack that follows. Repeat until Pattern #1 ends.

-Pattern #2 (Quad Needle Sweep and Diamond Spray)-
Stay in front of the core of the boss, and only adjust your position vertically. By flying straight ahead at the right moment, you can completely evade the needle sweeps. Afterwards, there's plenty of safe spots the diamond spray doesn't cover. Stay in one of these until Pattern #3.

-Pattern #3 (Big Diamond Spread, Diamond Spray, and 5 Way Needles)-
Get slightly to the left or right of the core to avoid the big spread. If you position yourself right, you can sit still to evade everything he fires at this point until Pattern #1 starts again.

The key to beating this boss is to stay calm, and find the safe spots. Learn to avoid attacks by dodging slightly, and you'll have him beat in no time.

If he remains this difficult after these tactics have been tried by people, I may tone down the needle sweep, but the diamond sprays stay (They have plenty of openings, they're mainly there to make sure you still have to dodge after avoiding the needles).
Old 10th September 2005, 03:38   #5
Raijin Z

Ability to pixel resize the screen, or fullscreen mode.

Filter out the high frequency noise in all the SFX, they give me a headache.

Save options when exiting option screen.
Old 12th September 2005, 16:40   #6
Anonymous

I also mention the need for fullscreen mode.

Now, for the suggestions:

? Exactly how many of the stage bosses are going to be Cores? Hopefully not too many - you won't have any left for the Stage 8 rush!

? The courses:

- Stage 4: it isn't Gradius without the Moai? I beg to differ. But anyways, I'm hoping you're going to put some subtle twist on the typical Moai stage (I mean, besides being vertical.) Like, for example...
...A logical continuation to the opening to Gradius III's Moai stage: all of the Moai in the stage are placed there by a single spacecraft (the boss, it turns out) that is present for the entire level (yet inaccessible to attack until the end.)
...or perhaps something else. Maybe all of the Moai shoot bubbles, like in Gradius Advance, leading to a crossover with the Bubble stage from Gradius III stage 2.

- Stage 5: is this "Bio Fortress" or "Interstellar Inferno"?

? "Forward Options." Sure, they increase your firepower, but packing them onto the front is kind of ugly. I suggest you replace them with Snake Options, which serve the same purpose (magnify the forward firepower) but look altogether more elegant, and are an actual Gradius weapon (and, since you're really keen on negating the Type 4's ability to increase its firing width, you could make them travel really close together, thus shortening the "tail" created by movement.)

See also: Pentarou, from Parodius Da!

? The music choices:

- Stage 3 (Asteroid Field)-Salamander 2 Unused Song #1 ("No Future")
This song is too much of a musical allusion to Power of Anger (Salamander Stage 1) and has too much of a slight 'organic' vibe to really work well for something as inorganic as an asteroid field. (At least, those asteroids ARE inorganic, right? ...Uh oh, they're aliiiive!)

Stage 6 (Volcano)-Gradius III, A Long Time Ago (Gradius I portion of song - "Free Flyer")
Nope. I'm sorry, but by the time you've reached Stage 6, a happy-go-lucky song that loops in 33 seconds, such as "Free Flyer," just won't work. Unless the aforementioned 'twist' has an effect on the music as well, transforming it into a sordid parody of itself. In which case: man, that's awesome!

Thinks: Why not include some Cave game music as well?
Old 15th September 2005, 14:57   #7
L
Rookie

Me again... this time I've logged in.

Problem: the "Big Core Mk.I Kai" exits the background and reenters in the foreground with zero delay. It's as if it rocketed straight toward the screen in the microsecond it was out of display.

Hmm... now that I think about it, having the proposed asteroids morph into the pink pulsating armed blobs from Gradius 1's level 5 is actually a neat idea. What do you think?
L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 04:15   #8
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Thanks for everything so far! I'll be sure to look over your suggestions in detail, and see what I can do...

Stage 3-Actually, the choice I made was based on what the track reminded me of...Gradius V's asteroid level. I dunno why, but it sounds like an asteroid level to me...Perhaps I'll try something else though.

Stage 5-This is going to be a bio level, I figured a bio level song would work.

Stage 6-Y'know, you're probably right on this one folks. Now I just gotta come up with something that says Volcano but also works.
Old 18th September 2005, 16:12   #9
L
Rookie

Hey, I just thought of another reason to use Snake Options - so that the OptionHunters (which you cannot fail to include) actually have a chance of nabbing some of Type 4's Options.

And now, concerning the level order: you've got a no-terrain level, Gradius Orbit, that is immediately followed by another no-terrain level, Hyperspace. Meaning you have to wait until level 3 before you can encounter actual obstacles... which is a bit of a stretch for a Gradius game, even if it is vertically oriented.

I'm thinking you should either move Asteroid Field forward, or put some obstacles into Hyperspace (like, for example, a variety of disabled Cores, perhaps reminiscent of Gradius Gaiden's stage 2?)
Old 19th September 2005, 20:25   #10
Warp Viper
Apprentice Shooter

Building on L's idea, you might also put some Gradian battleship wreckage in orbit around Gradius for the first level.
Warp Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2005, 01:48   #11
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Part of the reason I'm waiting two stages to add actual solid terrain is because stages 1 and 2 give you all the space you need to dodge the manic bullet hell you'll eventually be facing. And when you add the ground element, you also add ground enemies, which means more stuff to dodge, and less room to dodge in. I'll be adding some more background elements to the space levels down the line so they aren't so monotonous, but for now I'm trying to focus on the gameplay elements, as those take priority.

Also, about the stages...Here's a brief rundown of how each will work, and what you can expect.

Stage 1
Difficulty:Easiest
Enemies:Small, weak groups, occassional large ships.
Other Stuff:Nothing, this is pure open range shooting.

Stage 2
Difficulty:Easy
Enemies:Slightly larger groups, new large types which appear more often, and begin to make the standard gameplay more manic.
Other Stuff:Nothing yet, this level basically starts to up the bullet counts and approach the manic level this game is designed for.

Stage 3
Difficulty:Normal
Enemies:Ground enemies (Guns, bases, walkers) are added in limited numbers, more concentrated air groups and large enemies. Also lots of asteroids.
Other Stuff:This is the first ground level, where things really get interesting. Also introduces what will probably be the first of the insanely hard bosses.

Stage 4
Enemies:Somewhat lighter aerial threats, as Moai are the primary threat here. They will spray far more rings than you've seen them spit before, but they'll still be destroyable.
Other Stuff:The Moai level, lots of destroyable bullets along with the undestroyable ones. The Moai don't have any new tricks, but trust me, they won't need them.

Stage 5
Enemies:Mix of air and ground, all kinds of sizes. Also some biowalls and moving hazards like spikes.
Other Stuff:The bio level. What more do you need to know? This will have a special boss theme, and feature some classic Salamander-esque sequences.

Stage 6
Difficulty:Hard
Enemies:Lots of air and ground.
Other Stuff:Volcano level. This is where things will begin to get REALLY hard. Expect plenty of enemies, and erupting volcanoes to make things even more interesting.

Stage 7
Difficulty:Hard
Enemies:Lots of air and ground.
Other Stuff:Fortress level, even harder than volcano. Expect tight areas and lots of bullets elsewhere, but no moving walls (Thank god!)

Stage 8
Difficulty:Very Hard
Enemies:Lots of air and ground
Other Stuff:Preceeded by the Boss Rush, then you go into fortress hell. Endless enemies, there will be very few moments where you won't be avoiding bullets, and then the final(?) battle...
...On the plus side? Lots of enemies means the chance for a HUGE combo. Go for it!

Secret Stage
Difficulty:Obscenely Hard
Enemies:Aerial (Completely new types with tons of bulletspam).
Other Stuff:I can't spoil what I have planned, but rest assured, this level has but one purpose...Kill you 100 times over. You'll be on Loop 2 when you do this too, so expect suicide bullets aplenty. Those who can reach the boss will face their greatest challenge.
Old 23rd September 2005, 13:53   #12
L
Rookie

? Will the Moai level have that left-and-right* wrapping scrolling thing that it always had (except for some NES and MSX versions)? Because that sounds... kinds tricky to implement.

? Since the Moai rings are destructible, that'll mean they count toward rapid-destroy combos, right?

*I mean, perpendicular to the direction of scrolling, that is. Which for Cavadius would be left-and-right, but for Gradius would be up-and-down.
Old 9th October 2005, 16:56   #13
L
Rookie

After dumping "Free Flyer" for the choice of Stage 6 music, I've thought of a replacement: how about "Hades", from Gradius IV? (After all, the way you describe Stage 6 makes me see it as a vertical Gradius IV volcano level...)

Also: I don't really think "Dead End Cell" works well for the Stage 7 music. How about the Salamander 2 stage 5 loop 2 music? (You know, the one that's a remix of "Planet Latis" from Salamander?)

Question: what is the Insanely Hard Boss #1 that you've got at the end of Stage 3? Is it the Tetran? The Big Core Mk. II? A Brain Golem? (To go with the pulsating asteroid-encased bio-orbs, perhaps...)
Old 17th February 2006, 07:22   #14
Gopher's Ambition
Apprentice Shooter

Ideas:

-In DDP, if you tap the fire button, you get the shot weapon, and if you hold the button, you get the laser weapon. How about making it so that you can use the Double by tapping and the Laser by holding?

-It would be nice if hits on strong enemies could hold the GP meter up. It really stinks to lose your chain just because there were no popcorn enemies and you couldn't destroy the lone strong enemy fast enough.

Edit: whoops, I guess this is already implemented, it's just that it's a bit glitched

-You probably know this, but the weapons definitely need rebalancing. Wide type can pretty much pwn the entire screen all the time once you're set up. Most of the Missiles leave much to be desired. The Laser and Disrupter are very slow and unreliable (although that may be alleviated with the DDP shot system). The plain shot actually surpasses most weapons, both in power and reliability.

-The hit box is far too big for the crap you're going to be throwing at it, especially if the Level 1 boss really is the easiest boss you're planning.
Gopher's Ambition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 16:06   #15
BRPG8000
Rookie

FAN Based Game Maybe do co-operative mode?

I hope this game will support up to 2-4 players simultaniousley. You can think of the controls of which control sets will work.
BRPG8000 is offline   Reply With Quote