Gradius Home World グラディウスホームワールド Gradius Home World グラディウス ホームワールド

Go Back   Gradius Home World グラディウスホームワールド > Fan Based Games ファンベースのゲーム > Cavadius

Cavadius Official forum for the original game Cavadius by ForteMP3

Old 17th March 2007, 22:40   #1
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Windows Possible ending of Win9x support for Cavadius, READ!

Hey guys, I hate to bring up a big issue like this, but I want to gauge the community's reaction now. I hope to take some time off from work soon to spend time with Cavadius, as we're preparing for a MAJOR re-write. Among other things, we hope to add 60 FPS support (optional, 30 FPS can be used for lower end machines). However, this first point is one I need to address now.

GameMaker 7.0 has just recently been released, and while it offers a slew of new features, some of which might (but might not) help Cavadius out...it has removed Win9x support entirely, for both the programming engine and games made with it. This means if Cavadius goes to GameMaker 7, Win9x platforms will no longer be supported. You will need Win2K, WinXP, or Windows Vista. Actually, I should mention that I've heard Windows Vista only works well with GM7, so...There you go.

That said...The time has sadly come for a difficult choice to be made. Which OS do we not support? Windows Vista or Windows 9x?
ForteMP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 03:00   #2
Captain B

I run windows XP and will probably NOT go to vista... does anyone here use 9x?
Old 18th March 2007, 03:36   #3
Gopher's Ambition
Apprentice Shooter

I don't think anyone uses windows 9X anymore... certainly not as their only machine in their house. I personally use emulators and stuff to run all my old apps - haven't had much trouble in that department.

As for Vista... it's the opposite story. I don't think anyone really has it except people who didn't know what they were getting themselves into. I really don't think that Vista has proven itself to be a worthy OS so far. All that drm BS has pretty much scared everyone off of it.

I propose that you make a demo that uses the features that allegedly only work good on Vista, and we can test it on windows 2000 and XP to see if that's true.

And if that is true... then I recommend sticking with the older features.
Gopher's Ambition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 03:47   #4
ForteMP3
Cavadius Author

Thanks for the replies so far gang. And I suppose I should mention what possible features we would see with a GM7 version of Cavadius...Keep in mind a lot of these are in the air, but...here's what we're looking at

-HEAVILY REVISED savegame system. Savefiles would be using our own format and not GM's internal one, and thus would work between releases (Current Cavadius saves are NOT compatible from build to build). Encryption methods would be used to keep regular gamers out of the file for hacking purposes, though I'm sure people could crack it if they really wanted to.

-Improved drawing functions:I'm not entirely sure how many of these I'd be using, but with the new drawing functions people have made for GM7, it would be quite possible to do some nifty new effects, such as true beam type lasers (Think the disruptor, only any direction, and they could also have a nifty glowing effect).

-Windows Vista compatibility. Well...Duh. I mentioned this one. XD;;;
ForteMP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 17:21   #5
nitrofurano
Rookie

Default Re: ANNOUNCEMENT:Possible ending of Win9x support for Cavadius, READ!

i'm using only Linux, so i think would be a good idea focusing the compatibility on Wine, and/or nativelly on Linux.... - the fact is more and more people is abandoning ms-Windows, and Linux is really an excellent operating system - as i think most of the people here does at least dual-boot with Linux, i think you all knows all of what i'm talking about! =)
nitrofurano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:17   #6
Crimson Star Wolf
Craftsman

It should work on Windows 7 right? I hope it does. o.o
Crimson Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 11:45   #7
Hafk
Craftsman

Win9x is referring to Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows ME generation.

It will still work on all modern NT based OSes, which are 2000, XP, Vista, and Windows 7.